Ottawa fire say six displaced after two fires burn less than 12 hours apart

Firefighters in the city had their work cut out for them yesterday and this morning as two fires damaged homes in less than 12 hours.

Ottawa fire are reporting that a fire has burned on a porch to a home under construction in the Glebe Thursday morning.

According to Ottawa fire, dispatchers received multiple 911 calls at 5:01 a.m. due to a porch that was on fire at 277 Powell Ave.

Ottawa shelter fundraising to cover care for cat found ‘near death’ in apartment after tenants moved out

Upon arrival a working fire declared. Fire fighters had to force entry into the home to check and see if the fire had spread to any other part of the house.

Fire fighters were able to get the fire under control by 5:29 a.m. and completely out by 5:49 a.m. Fire services say there were there are no reported injuries and an Ottawa fire investigator has been sent to the scene to determine the cause of the blaze.

Last night, Ottawa fire received multiple 911 calls for heavy black smoke visible in the area of Destiny Private at 7:15 p.m. Wednesday evening.

The initial 911 call was from the residence at 121 Destiny Pvt. stating that the deck was on fire. With multiple 911 calls and heavy smoke visible from a distance a working fire was declared by firefighters arriving on scene. Shortly after that, a second alarm was declared.

Ottawa fire say that the fire started on the deck and made its way up to the roof and attic area. The residence is a six-unit row house complex. Fire services also say the unit adjacent to the one that burned sustained some smoke damage.

Ontario government lays out promises to fund health care, cut waste in first throne speech

A fire investigator has been dispatched to investigate the cause of the fire.

Ottawa fire say a total of six people will be displaced. Three people from unit 121 including a seven-year-old child and 3 people from the adjacent unit.

According to Ottawa fire, one firefighter needed to be treated for heat exhaustion.

Fire services did have some good news about the fire though. Firefighters say that while doing a search on the second floor of the burned unit, firefighters found a cat alive and brought it outside and reunited with its owner.

The fire was declared under control at 7:41 p.m.

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

You May Also Like

Top Stories